Thirty-three years later, the memorial service was censored China. The number of people arrested on Saturday increased several times Hong Kong, To prevent the public commemoration of the bloody Tiananmen repression, rallies were held in many democracies to pay tribute to the victims. AFP reporters saw at least half a dozen people abducted by police, including Yu Yi-Ban, an activist for the League of Social Democrats (LSD), a pro-democracy political party in power.
They warned that any participation in “unauthorized meetings” could result in up to five years in prison. Especially around Victoria Park, which was surrounded by Saturdays, which was a spectacular candlelight vigil until 2019. Memory of Tiananmen. In the evening, many people walking around the park turned on the light of their mobile phones as they failed to light the candles. The police sent a summons through a loudspeaker to turn them off, warning them that they were breaking the law.
Face recognition devices on the streets
On June 4, 1989, the Chinese Communist regime suppressed peaceful protesters who had been occupying Beijing’s iconic square for weeks with tanks and troops to put an end to political change and systematic corruption. The crushing of the movement killed hundreds, even thousands, by some estimates. Since then, Chinese authorities have tried to destroy Tiananmen from the collective memory. History textbooks do not mention it, and online discussions are systematically censored.
In Beijing, authorities have installed face recognition devices on the streets leading to the square. Police conducted an identification search Saturday. Hong Kong was the exception until 2020, when provoking the events of 1989 in China was always banned. After the massive pro-democracy protests of 2019, Beijing imposed strict national security legislation on the semi-autonomous region to suppress all dissent. Since then, local authorities have been working to destroy all traces of Tiananmen’s memory.
Black and chrysanthemum T-shirt
On Saturday evening, Yu and two LSD members arrived in the bustling Causeway Bay shopping district and stood quietly wearing masks with crosses in their mouths. They were searched by police and later released, and Yu was re-arrested a few minutes later as he approached Victoria Park. A former leader of the Hong Kong Alliance, the association that organized the awareness campaign, was surrounded by red and white roses in his hand when his agents surrounded him and searched his bag.
“The government is very much afraid of a possible rally,” Dorothy, a 32-year-old Hong Kong woman, told AFP. The result of the awareness is “a great loss to the community”, she laments. A Hong Kong woman told AFP that she had lit a candle in her house and placed a copy of the Tiananmen movement’s iconic “goddess of democracy” on the window sill.
Warning to embassies
Vigils have already been banned in 2020 and 2021 in the name of fighting against Govt, and then last September, the Hong Kong Alliance disbanded, its June 4 museum was removed, and its leaders arrested. Uncertainty over what is legal has prompted six Hong Kong universities in recent months to remove the Tiananmen monuments erected on their campuses.
On Saturday evening, the windows of the US consulate and the European Union (EU) office were lit by candles. The latter wrote on Twitter (which is blocked in China) that the EU “stands in solidarity with human rights defenders around the world” and posted a photo of dozens of candles on a window sill.
Earlier in the day, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken took to Twitter to pay tribute to the courageous protesters who demanded democracy in Tiananmen. Wherever human rights are threatened. ”
Continues the feeling of Tiananmen
In response, a spokesman for the city’s Chinese Foreign Ministry office said it “strongly rejected” the reports. “Their political agenda interfered with China’s internal affairs under the guise of human rights and freedoms, and tarnished Hong Kong’s human rights and the rule of law, inciting hostility and conflict and tarnishing China’s reputation,” the statement said. However, awareness programs were organized on Saturday by Amnesty International in 20 cities around the world. In Melbourne, “we want this spirit to live on forever,” said Frank Ruan, a former Tiananmen Square activist who said he was lucky to have survived.
In Taipei, Connie Louie, a 65-year-old hospital worker who left Hong Kong a year and a half ago because of the political situation, told the AFP, “This is the only place we can come and remember now. I’m here on behalf of all my friends who could not come from Hong Kong.” , “The collective memory of June 4 in Hong Kong is being deliberately destroyed. Such crude and unjust actions cannot destroy the memory of the people.”